President's Message from Robin Norris
President 2017 - 2018
It is with great humility and honor that I accept the position of President for the 2017 - 2018 NAWIC year. I appreciate the support of my fellow NAWIC-ians (a term coined by a comedian at one of our events) and the construction industry. The industry has been very kind to me throughout my career. Thank you!
I promise to do my best to be a strong foundation system for our Chapter during my term. My year will focus on: All for one; one for All! While upholding the core purpose of NAWIC. Everyone is welcome at all things NAWIC. Women and men; work boots to high heels; young to old.
The following meeting schedules will be posted to our website under the Events tab: www.kcnawic.org
- Board of Director Meetings
- Monthly Membership Meetings & Professional Education & Development Opportunities
- Social Events & Community Activities
- Committees (list of Chairs)
My goal as president:
- Promote the core purpose of NAWIC
- Promote inclusion of interests, generations, business sizes and career levels for all women in the construction industry
- Increase Social Media Presence
- Increase value of Professional Development & Education Programs
- Reorganize Special Committees to better align with the core purpose
One more word from me:
- The action of giving someone support, confidence, or hope.
- Persuasion to do or to continue something.
- The act of trying to stimulate the development of an activity, state, or belief.
Chapter support is very important to encourage more new members to step into leadership positions. I challenge every current NAWIC member to readily offer words of praise, encouragement and support to our new NAWIC Leaders. Help them become solid leaders in NAWIC, their careers and their lives.
In life we learn best by doing. NAWIC is all about doing. NAWIC encourages, praises and rewards a job well done!
NAWIC is also about expectations, responsibilities and accountability. That is what builds leaders.
We will make mistakes. How you handle the mistake says volumes about your character, integrity and professionalism.
Once you learn of a mistake, the only requirement is to acknowledge the mistake was made; correct the mistake; then move on to the next order of business. That builds character and teaches multiple personal and professional lessons. You do not need to be sorry, ladies; only accountable.
Don’t fear taking a leadership role because you will make a mistake; fear not taking a leadership position and losing the experience you will gain. You will learn valuable lessons. Your NAWIC sister’s will encourage and support you to reach levels of accountability. NAWIC will teach you lifelong lessons.
You are NAWIC. Join a Committee. Volunteer. We will encourage your participation until you learn and step up to take over! You are the future of women in the construction industry. A mentor is anyone who offers encouragement and expects accountability. Be a mentor to your fellow NAWIC members and those not yet members!
Please reach out to me at Rnorris@buildersassociation.com, or any other NAWIC member.
Explore the rest of our website or visit the National website at www.nawic.org to learn more about how to enhance the success of women in the construction industry by starting with yourself and your nearest NAWIC sister.
2017-2018 Chapter President