When I joined NAWIC in 2004, if you would have said to me that “one day you will be the Chapter President”, I would have laughed and said “I don’t think so -- thanks but no thanks”. That was the last thing from my mind. I am a bit introverted and it’s not easy for me to step out of my comfort zone. But it was with the help of the members that I was able to break out of that shell. We don’t set anyone up in this organization for failure. When you take on a commitment to serve on the board or chair a committee, you are not alone. You have the membership behind you to help and support you. As part of my acceptance speech last year, I touched on NAWIC’s core values -- BELIEVE, PERSEVERE, and DARE. And I challenged you to step outside of your comfort zone with the help, support, and encouragement of our members. Over the past year I have seen many of you accept this challenge. I want to congratulate you all of you for a successful year! I am proud of what we accomplished this year and I hope you are too.
I would like to point out some of our chapter highlights from this year:
· Dixie Osborn celebrated 45 years as a member of NAWIC
· Gloria Scrivens celebrated 40 years as a member of NAWIC
· Isha Kassen won the Regional “Rookie of the Year Award”
· Walton Construction won the Regional Safety Award
· Shelley Armato, owner of Marathon Digital Services,
won the Crystal Vision Award at the Chapter and Regional level.
· Chellee Mansfield had a baby girl, Kendall Paige, on Jan 21, 2010
· Adrian Zeiler had a baby boy, Noah Sidney, on March 13, 2010
· Brooke Schnurr had a baby girl, Jorja Ryann, on June 11, 2010
Like most chapters we’ve had our tough times too. A few of our members lost their jobs and our membership was down about 20% due to the economy. But our chapter has really pulled together to make this a great year! Brighter days will come but until then as long as we work together great things will happen.
I would like to thank the officers, directors, committee chairs, and members for your support, dedication, and unwavering determination to accomplish our goals. It has truly been an honor serving as your President this year and a pleasure working with all of you.